Now summertime can be a fun, carefree time for all children, even those of the working poor. For more than 15 years, Camp Upward has given any deserving child, age 5-14, a sanctuary from an unsupervised summer on the streets and a haven from gang and drug activity. For eight weeks, these kids engage in summer recreational and intellectual activities designed to nurture them both physically and spiritually.
These may include:
• Two Field Trips to provide new experiences
• Arts & Crafts to foster creative thinking
• Leadership Skills to teach initiative and group dynamics
• Character Building to support good morals and ethical behavior
• Performances & Speeches to inspire through testimonials
• Sports Activities to promote exercise and teamwork
• Two Hot Meals per Day to ensure the body is well-nourished
• Non-Denominational Bible Studies to encourage spiritual growth
• Peer Pressure Resistance Training to teach independent thinking and decision making
• Conflict Resolution to demonstrate non-violent results to problems and social situations
• Job Training to prepare our teen counselors for the future
How to apply
Camp Upward is open to all children, age 5-14, in St. Tammany and Washington Parishes. Fees are minimal. Call 985.893.5880 for dates and registration information.
How you can help
Volunteers and donations of "time, talent and treasure" are always welcome. Sponsorships for children are needed. Corporate underwriting also offers excellent opportunities for team building and mentoring. Call 985.893.5880 or email Nathan for more information.